In any sector, but in particular for the electrical sector, the workplace must guarantee a safe
environment for workers.
Those involved in the installation of electrical systems know this: accidental contacts, risk of ignition and spread of fire, lightning and over voltages are all conditions that require special attention to avoid causing accidents or becoming a victim.
Here are the main causes that make an unsafe work environment.
Installation of electrical systems in unsafe environments: the causes
Unqualified or unauthorized personnel
A construction site should not be a place for everyone, and should guarantee access only to
If the employee performing the electrical installation does not have adequate training or does not
have it at all, it is much easier to have accidents that are serious.
In the same way, those who do not know the work environment and do not even have the
authorization to enter it must be removed to avoid damage to people and property and to avoid
penalties and fines.
Use of poor quality material
Every element that makes up an electrical system must be of quality, without exception.
The electric cables must be in optimal conditions, without any cuts or scratches that could
compromise the operation and safety of the entire system.
To be completely sure of the validity of the product, it is important to have the right information
available through marking.
To be compliant, the electric cables on the European market must have the CE marking and the
Declaration of Performance required by the CPR regulation, which also provides that the product
- the identification of the origin of the cable, consisting of the name of the manufacturer or his
trademark or (if legally protected) by the distinguishing number;
- description of the product or designation code;
- fire reaction class;
- year of production;
- voluntary certification marks (for example the IMQ EFP quality mark);
- additional information at the discretion of the manufacturer provided they do not conflict or
confuse other mandatory markings.
The cable conduits, in the same way, must be in excellent condition because they depend on the
safety and operation of the electric cables inside.
Like the latter, they must be marked with specific characteristics related to:
- compressive and impact resistance
- maximum and minimum temperature for installation and use
Advice for a safe installation
After talking about the main sources that cause not indifferent problems in a construction site, here are some tips and rules to follow in the workplace to ensure the own safety and that of the
1. Make sure that the qualified personnel is the only one to approach the electrical system during
Furthermore, it is important that every employee is provided with the appropriate safety equipment and that he is aware of their correct use. In particular, the use of "Individual Protection Devices", which are divided into three categories:
- the first, which includes easy-to-design devices for protection against minor damage
- the second, which characterizes devices aimed at safeguarding eyes, hands, arms and face
- the third, for devices that are difficult to design, used to protect against fatal accidents or serious injuries.
2. Ensure protection for both accidental and direct contacts. Direct refers to the contact between a
person and the electrical system normally live, for indirect human contact with a conductive part
that is usually not live but in the specific case due to a breakdown or due to wear of an insulating
Among the various protection alternatives, they are particularly effective:
- passive protection
- differential protection
3. Pay attention to the condition of each tool before using it and replace worn parts, such as tools
with damaged insulation.
In addition, electrical components, including spare or inadequate parts, must be kept away from
water or damp places even in the event of rain.
Therefore, store all power tools in dry areas and keep the external sockets covered.
4. Know the places where the electrical panels are located to be able to intervene promptly and
remove voltage in case of need or danger and, for each panel, know the function of the switches to
isolate the room if necessary.